Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Good Name

Proverbs 22:1
1 A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

I talk often about the importance of our individual relationship with Christ. I believe that is the cornerstone of our religious faith. Our relationship has to be a one on one experience. There is only one entity that has control over our lives and that is the highest God. As a result that relationship will define who we are.
Another man should not dictate our lives to us; you cannot find truth, by listening, you have to find it. The best place to start is the bible (that means you reading the bible, not waiting on the book report on Sunday!). It is your relationship with Christ that should define you.

I bring this up because as the verse tells us, a good name is more desirable than great riches. Our name comes from our actions. Our actions should come from how we follow the teachings of Christ. What often happens is that we know what we should do, but it is easier to go with the flow, but when we do that are we not turning our backs on God? Are we not going the way of the false prophets? I know that might sound a little over the top, but if we know the truth, and hold it back, or distort it to make it more palatable, have we not distorted the teachings in the same breath? It is something we would all be aware of. I know that I am guilty of it myself. We walk a fine line between being peaceful, and keeping the peace. We have to stay alert and not fall victim to the traps for the devil. I am sure that he must love the Christian that goes back on the word.

We are specifically warned against this in 2 Peter 2: 2121For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them. False prophets are everywhere today, and they are not just confined to the T.V. they are in churches throughout the country twist the word of the Lord so they might profit from it. They have made a living off the Faith, yet have become enslaved by the very evil that they preach against. This is why I will say so often, read your bible. If you can watch 2 hours of T.V. you can read for 30 min. The bible has more information in it to help you shape your life, than any reality show can hope to give.

If a good name is more important than wealth, how can we not follow Christ’s example? The better question might be how can we follow Christ’s example, if so many of us will not pick up the book and study it?

Peace,
Rev. T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JESUS

For years I’ve searched
For perfect ways
To reach Your throne of grace
I’ve strived and strained
Read loads of books
So I would see Your face
The bibles, I have plenty
All kinds of different versions
But everything is easier
Than long, drawn out, excursions.

My prayer life, just like a list
Expounded every morning
You knew the way that they would go
You must have found them boring
My formula was oh so good
I thought they reached the parts
Just like the beer, they brought You cheer
Like fiery little darts.

But now I have the notion
That I must try much harder
Cast off my jacket that is straight
Start filling up the larder
Bible study is a must
So You I get to know
I need a deep relationship
So that our love will grow.