Wednesday, July 23, 2008

No one talks about the day they die

The next several days will be shorter posts, as I am traveling.

Matthew 24:36
"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
Luke 12:7
7Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

I watched a movie last night, and it was told by the perspective of a dead man. At the end of the movie, the person telling the story makes two comments that really struck home, first “no one talks of the day they die, yet it comes any way.” And “things look a lot clearer after you are dead.”

No it did not get me to thinking about my death, It got me to thinking about my life and the life of those around me. We do not know when we will be called home, yet we all know that the day will come when we will in fact die a earthly death. We never talk like today could be the day, but it could. I am not wanting to sound like a fatalist here, but it reminds me of a saying that a Rev. that I know had. HE would always ask, “is your house in order?” you know what? Mine’s not, oh I like to think it is but when I really look at it, there are things that I have been putting off, things that I might not want to deal with……sound familiar? So as Red in the Shawshank Redemption once said, you better get bust living, or get busy dying.

Well as for me, I am getting back to living, not surviving. Don’t get me wrong it has been a while since I have lived day to day, just trying to get by, but upon reflection, I see there is still more to be done, and a lot further to go. So I am going to get busy living, I pray that you each do the same. Say what needs to be said, do what needs to be done, in the Lord, for the Lord. The day I do die, I want it to be a day of joy at all of the completed things I did, not a trail of loose ends, and words left unspoken.

Peace,
Rev. T

No comments: