Tuesday, October 7, 2008

rationalizing our lives

Genesis 1:26-27

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.



A fellow shared his testimony with me this morning, and part of it reminded me of a very important detail that so many good people seem to forget. We are created in the image of God, not the other way around. the bible says that the love of money is the root of evil......I would have to say that rationalization has to rate pretty close to love of money. I say that because so many of us do it. I know that if I try there is not much I cannot rationalize. I spent many years of my life making sure that I looked at life throught the right set of lenses, so that what I was doing was “OK”. I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect, but I have come a long way from where I started.

There is always an angel to exploit if we look for it. We can look at the things we like to do, and make up a good excuse as to why it is ok. Something as simple as burning 3 hours in front of the TV at the end of the day, instead of spending that time with your family. All the way up to something as complicated as going out and drinking to the point of excess. There are excuses for all of it, there is a way to look at any situation, and you can come up with a well it is ok because______. (you fill in the blank)

We are given pretty specific laws handed down by the Lord. They do not have gray areas, and they are not complicated (now we have made some of them that way, but that is a different conversation). There is no rationalizing the word of God, it is set, and it is plain to read.

We are made in his image, we should emulate Christ, and that means opening up our hearts and letting the love flow. When we lock it up and keep it for ourselves, it turns very quickly into self-love, then to conceit, then to pride / vanity. God gives His love freely, we must do the same. The first step is getting our own backyard in order, and that means no more rationalizing our lives. There is right and there is wrong, you can try to twist it and turn it to fit your need, but all of the dressing that you put on it will not be able to change the truth.

Peace,
Rev. Thetford.

No comments: