Friday, August 1, 2008

Full Commitment

1 Kings 18:21
Elijah went before the people and said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him." But the people said nothing.


Do we not find many in the same boat today? Many might not be worshiping a different God, but they are worshiping no God other than themselves. They want God on their terms, only when it is convenient to them. It has really, for many, become a don’t call me, I’ll call you relationship. There is no gray area with the Lord. That is one of the reasons I do love him so. There is right and there is wrong. You follow, or you do not. When we deny the Lord in the good times, why is everyone so surprised when he does not show up for the bad?

The first thing that this passage brings to mind is good old American Theism. I was guilty at one point in my life of the same thing. Oh I would tell everyone that wanted to know that I was a Christian, sure I loved the Lord…….when it worked for me. When I needed it. What I mean by that is that when things were going well, I never really thought about or gave thanks to the Lord. It was only when things got rough that I would start looking for the Lord. I know many people who would even go as far as to blame God at that point because things were getting tough.

God is not a fair weathered friend; you have to make the commitment. You decide if you will follow him, or deny him. I do want to be clear that I am not saying you are either perfect or you are not. There was only one perfect man, and he was nailed to a cross. What I am saying is that you make the choice to start down the path the Lord has provided, or you turn your back. Sure you will stumble, be unsure, have some doubts here and there, but you have to make the commitment.

Look at Abraham and Moses, for example. Both men left behind the comfort that was home for them, and made the commitment to follow the Lord. They put their full will into trusting, and having faith in the Lord. They made a choice, and stuck to it.

As we are told in Romans 12: Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Shake off the chains of the world. Quit living half in the world of sin, and half in the world of the Lord. Commit to Christ, and he will provide the path, and the plan. Suit up in the full armor of the Lord (Ephesians 6:10-17), and you will see that the Lord will deliver you, he will sustain you, and he will never forsake you.

Peace,
Rev. T

1 comment:

Gi said...

Great Post.

We are either for Him or against Him.
How long shall we be between two opinions?
It's time for us to choose.