Thursday, September 18, 2008

Turn it over

short and to the point today.

Psalm 6: 4-10

4 Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.
5 No one remembers you when he is dead. Who praises you from the grave
?
6 I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.
7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes.
8 Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping.
9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace


We all have low spots in our life. Times that we feel like we will never make it out alive. Grant it, we all might not feel the despair to the point that David did, but we can all relate to the sentiment in this Psalm. When the walls are closing in, and the enemy is at the gate how we respond matters more than ever. It is in these dark times we must remember to call on the Lord. Paul tells us about the Lords thoughts on these times in 2 Corinthians 12 : "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." The Lord wants to hear form you not just on the good days, but on the dark days as well. He tells us that it is during these times that his strength will be the greatest. It is during our weakest moment, when we turn it over to the Lord, that he can show us his power and might.

The telling part of this psalm in verse 10; I think we have all had moments where for no apparent reason the doom that was at our door banging loudly falls away. It is those moments that the Lord has stepped in; he has changed hearts and worked in other people for our benefit. The Lord does hear our cries for mercy, he hears our prayers; but we have to pray, we have to offer up our worries and our needs. To hold them inside, and think that we can do it on our own is a lesson in futility. It is a sad lesson that we will be allowed to repeat over and over again. So pray honestly and earnestly to the Lord, he will deliver you in the bad times, and he will bless you in the good.

Peace,
Rev. Thetford

No comments: