Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The keys are in your hand

John 15: 15-16
15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.


Why are you a Christian? Can you answer that question? It seems that when I ask that question to people many do not have an answer, or the answer is I belong to a great Church, or we have a great Pastor, even better they have so much interaction for the kids. Those are great reasons to go to a Church, no doubt, and I do not want to be misunderstood. Those three answers show that a church must have a great community, a Pastor who has a gift from the Holy Spirit, and the church must realize the importance of getting and keeping the children involved. It does not however qualify as a good answer as to why one would be a Christian.

My point is as the scripture shows the idea was for each of us to be able to preach the Word. Each one of us should have a very good idea of what it means to be a Christian for us. That answer might be a little different from person to person, just as no two Gospels read exactly the same. Nevertheless each of us should have our own story of what makes our relationship with Christ one that is worth sharing with the world. It takes personal reflection, prayer, and yes, you need to pick up the Bible and read it. You do not have to be able to quote scripture off the top of your head, but it would be a good idea to be able to give a Cliff notes version of it. Why would someone want to follow Christ if the first time they were introduced to it the person telling them did not have a clear picture of what it meant to them, beyond that is what my family has always done? It is up to each of us as an individual, then as a church community to reach out to those around us that are searching.


Christ gave us all the Great Commission. He has told each of us that he has chosen us to go and bear fruit that will last. It is each and every one of our duties to be able to speak boldly about Christ, and the salvation that he offers. He did not just give the keys to your Pastor. He put them in your hands as well. The question is will you jump in the front and drive, or will you stay in the back seat?

Peace,
Rev. T

No comments: