Thursday, May 7, 2009

Jesus and Mom

You know I can’t help but think about Christ when I think about Moms. You might think I am crazy to say that but hear me out. First remember how Christ ran the money changers out of the temple? All is right with the world, Jesus and his friends are walking in to the temple then BAM out of nowhere, Jesus makes short work of all of the people desecrating His Fathers house! See that is how my Mom was…..I dare say that is how my wife is! Moms just do not have a lot of room for blatant disobedience, and justice comes quickly, and thoroughly.

It is not just the discipline end of it, although I will say if the man is king of his castle, then the mom must be the judge and jury! When I think of how Christ fed so many on so little, I cannot help but think of Moms. There is no end to how far a Mom can make a dollar go. I can come back from the store thinking I got a bargain, only to see my wife come back form the store with twice as much, and still spent less than I did! Then how far she can make those groceries go! I walk to the pantry and see nothing, I show up to the table and the woman has prepared a full meal! I do not know where this food comes from, but I am quite certain that food was not in there when I looked, yet there it is a feast ready to eat!

One of the many amazing things about Christ was His ability to heal others. He cast out demons, he healed lepers, and he brought people back form the dead. There is not a doubt in my mind that God gave Mothers some of that healing magic. This same woman who had brought a child to tears earlier in the day, can relieve the pain of skinned knee with a hug. She can pull the venom out of a bee sting with a kiss, and can break the fever of any sickness with a cold washrag, some Vicks, and an I love you while brushing the wet hair from their child’s eyes! Oh yes, a mother has healing powers, I do not know of a father that does not feel the pangs of jealousy when he see the love of a mother heal the wounds of children.

But when you get down to it, the point that drives it home for me is very simple. As adults we trust Christ, we turn to him, and we look for guidance, we read God’s word and listen for His direction on how to live our lives. We pray to him, we ask Him to heal our broken souls. There is nothing that Christ will not do for us, He was even willing to give His life to save ours…..but you see…when we were young we did not know Christ. We had no idea who he was or what he did for us. That is why He gave us mothers. See, all of Christ’s roles for us when we get older, are trusted to dear old Mom when we are young children. She will bend over backwards to give her child anything they need. She nurtures, she guides, she protects, but most of all she loves. She loves as only a Mother can. Wholly, fully, completely, and is willing to die to defend her child. A mother is unique indeed, a mixture of force, strength, and unyielding love.

Peace,
Brian

No comments: