Tuesday, December 2, 2008

No Fear

I hope everyone’s Thanksgiving went well. I know some people read from other parts of the world, so I hope you had a blessed week last week as well!

I am going to start doing thing a little differently. Each day I will continue off the prior day. So as long as I get to post 4 times a week, I will get several days to expand on one thought.

Luke 1: 29-30

29Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God.


Do not be afraid, have you noticed so often when an angel appears to someone, some of the first words they speak are something to that effect. Do not be afraid….Fear seems to be a very quick to appear in our hearts, even when we know it to be the will of the Lord.

I guess some might think there was reason for fear to spring forth. At this time in the world, the Lord seemed to be moving slow. 400 years pass between the time of the Old Testament, and the New. 400 years, that is a long time. Imagine all of the prophets during that 400 years…..400 years of prophecy with no result. So perhaps it is fitting that Mary was afraid.

Yet when the Lord moves fast people seem full of fear, unsure of themselves, and full of doubt. Think of the Israelites, Moses showed up, and within a very short amount of time the Pharaoh freed every man woman and child. They were happy to be free, yet full of fear. After the 400 years ends the Lord shows up in high gear! John the Baptist will be born. Shortly there after Christ himself will make his appearance. Things are moving fast, and still fear is the rule. One has to look no further than today to see how fear grips us daily. It is something that seems to be lurking around every corner just waiting to rear its ugly head.

I know, you are thinking today fear is different. These people were in contact with angelic creatures, sent from God, of course they were fearful. Some of them talked directly to God…..what more of a reason do you need to be fearful? Do we not see the same things in our lives? No it might not be on the grand scale of the Lord presenting himself to us, but he does talk to us, he tries to direct us, he sends angles, yet we all to often are to busy to take notice. I believe one of the big differences between then and now, is that today our fear is largely due to us not listening to the Lord so we feel as if we are out of control……But guess what? We are! We just do not want to give it up!


Peace,
Rev. Thetford

1 comment:

ThomasCSlater said...

Rev. Thetford, I believe you are right we just don't want to give it up. My biggest problem is that I have alot of health problems and sometimes I become afraid, even though I know God is faithful and I should not be afraid. I believe it's me, worrying how my family will feel if I would go and meet the father. I know that it will hurt my family greatly if that may happen. This is what I worry about.